March 20, 2008

Politically Speaking

I cannot let any more time go by without throwing my two cents into the mix for the current happenings of the Democratic Presidential race...

Race... why is that such a sticky subject? I grew up in the deep south and my Grandparents and my Parents were raised to be prejudice, I honestly try not to be really I do, but if I'm being honest, sometimes I find myself caught up in it as well...

Here at work we have cliques and the black women congregate amongst themselves and the white women do the same... There are times though that we all hang out but I think primarily you see the segregation everywhere... I'm not sure about the Northern part of the country because from what I have heard from others that live there or were raised there it isn't like that...

The one thing I will say is that I've noticed that the older black folks do not seem to have "some kind of chip on their shoulder" about white people and I'm sure it's not all the young black people but alot of them seem really angry...

Is that anger just the "they are at that age"? Maybe the white young people are like that too, I don't know...

Take example last week I pulled into the gas station and I was waiting behind a van to finish pumping and when they pulled out I went to pull in and damned if a young black guy and girl in a new model Jaguar pulled in the other way and grabbed the pump... I looked at him so pissed off and I noticed him shaking his head in some fashion I think mouthing "Yeah I got it, whatchoo gonna do about it?"

Of course I know that could have happened just as well with any white man and woman and it really upset me but yet I was deathly afraid of them...

Why is that? I literally was afraid he'd bring out a pistol and shoot me if I said anything to him...

Now I'm just being honest it really is a major deal with me and I often wonder who else... Why are alot of White people afraid of Black people?

Of course I stereotyped this young boy to be a punk drug dealer, his car tags were from Tennessee, his typical stylish yet casual attire with his baby mama in the front seat beside him.

In my defense I did later say to myself,

"Now Denise, maybe he was coming to town to visit his relatives from his college in Tennessee and maybe his folks were well off and they could afford to buy him a vehicle like that"...

He was younger than 25 years old and surely not able to afford a vehicle like that on his own... Who knows... Maybe that was his cousin with him and he had taken the car for his uncle to get some Gas... It really could have been a hundred different scenario's, but he was wrong in his stealing of the pump but then again maybe he didn't see me behind the van and he had been waiting also...I Don't know and it nags me to understand it all...

One of my best friends in Dental school, in fact she was my only friend was a black girl who had married a white guy... She was the one who had taught me about how different it was up North with the interracial thing not being a big issue for her to have to deal with, but that as soon as they moved down south they were stared at by everyone black and white alike...

This whole race thing just frustrates me, God wants us to treat others the way we want to be treated and disregard the color of their skin, their body image, their handicaps...

What if it's instinctual? I have saw in animals where if something wasn't of "NORM", even the mother would try to kill it or abandon it...

Why is that if being prejudice in any fashion is learned?

My friend "Dana" had an Alaskan husky and she had 8 puppies, she licked all the afterbirth etc off of all of them but one... I watched in amazement and when she had that one puppy and wouldn't take care of it- actually she even nudged it away from herself and the other little ones, I was freaking out...

Dana and I even got down there and cleaned it up and stuff, we brought the puppy to it's mother, but she wasn't having it... Something was wrong with that puppy... That mother knew it and wouldn't have anything to do with it...

Y'all, She even chewed the umbilical cord all the way off of it's tummy (different than she did the other 7) I think to make it die sooner, perhaps so it wouldn't have to suffer...

We finally saw later on, that the puppies feet were turned outside totally opposite of the other puppies and figured out that she knew that the puppy was ill... It finally died a couple hours later...
This just goes to show though... Instinctual...

What about handicapped people, no matter how hard when we see them out and about that we not stare at them... I've caught myself even ignoring that they are even there... Now that is just plain sad... WHY? I DO NOT KNOW...

What about really overweight people? We automatically stare and make assumptions about their way of life... WHY? I DO NOT KNOW...

In trying to get to my actual post subject, I apologize for the above...

Finally, I'm getting to it...

With this Reverend being affiliated with Barack Obama as his preacher for 20 years, everyone is in an uproar... The message that's being spread around and that we "ASSUME" is Obama's ideals as well is one of hate for America and for white people... I guess, I am not really sure because we only get to see what is portrayed to us by the media... Maybe it is, It certainly seems that way, I'm not saying it isn't, I hope it isn't because then Obama would be a liar because he said he wasn't about divisiveness but in taking up for him a little bit, we did only get to hear some pieces of the sermons...

So, On one side we have this church where Obama's been a member of for over 20 years... You'd think that the sermons that are/were preached there had to have some of the same overtones that have been soundbited all over the media...

But on the other hand, I understand Obama when he said, It's like a dear old relative in the family, you listen to them and you go on with life, not necessarily taking with you the same mindset that they have...

Y'all sometimes we aren't even focused at church... I know alot of times I was watching the man in front of me nodding off and drooling, or listening to my stomach growl hoping we'd be getting to go eat out to Krispy Chic for Sunday dinner... But for 20 years? Hmmmm... You'd think he would have listened at some point and how come he didn't walk on out of there if any of that GD America stuff started?

Also I don't understand why they I am assuming are leaving the Reverend out of the limelight on purpose so as not to cause anymore "supposed" harm to Obama, or either everyone's wanting him to jump into the spotlight but he is just waiting on the right opportunity... Who knows? I don't...

The biggest issue is that while Hillary is grinning like a cat that ate the canary, and Obama is dealing with this thing, someone, in fact probably alot of someone's are going to get fed up with the Democrats (unless they are devout that is) and say, "The hell with it, I'm voting for McCain!"...

Why that bothers me? I don't know... I just have this little nagging sensation when someone or other mentions that McCain is going to be our next President...

Ok alot of stuff today and probably alot not intelligible... But it's what I'm about lately...

God's Peace to you...


Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment