March 7, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me...

Birthdays for me when I was a little girl were really cool... I guess most people can say that because once you get old they are never the same...

For me though, my mother always tried to make the whole day about me... I would wake up to her asking me what I'd like for Breakfast and it was almost always her French Toast... Then she would say, "OK we can either celebrate with a lunch at a restaurant of your choice or we can wait until dinner to go out..."

If it was on a week day that I had school, I would always have cupcakes and Kool-Aid dropped off by my mother to have served to my classmates and me sometime during the day, then come home anxious to see my chocolate birthday cake Mama had made for me with the sugar candy pink letters or other years with droopy icing, spelling out "Happy Birthday", not to mention of course what presents I would be able to rip open...

Funny thing is, though I was always considered by everyone as a "Daddy's Girl", I really can't remember my daddy being around... My memory is very fuzzy of my childhood anyway but memories of my father especially are far and few between...

So as I ooze into my 38Th year on this Earth today with my aches and knee cracking and other age affected afflictions, I am filled with memories of my youth... My mother especially... I miss you Mama!...

My children woke me this morning with the Happy Birthday song and "S" constantly wishing me a nice day today... I got to work with cards and gifts on my desk and well wishes in my email... "Rain" called telling me I didn't look a day over 30...

I am a very blessed person and I feel very loved... Indeed it has been a very very Happy Birthday...

God Bless

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment